What makes you happy? Well, if you don’t know, it’s about time you get out from underneath that dark cloud and find out! Here’s a few ways to reach that smiley face goal!
Pursuit of Happiness Week — What does it take to be truly happy and have feelings of joy permeate your everyday life? Six British experts have found what they say are 10 simple steps we can all take to make our lives happy, reports the BBC News. The team determined that the “seeds of happiness” are in this 10-point plan:
- Plant something and nurture it.
- Count your blessings — at least five — at the end of each day.
- Take time to talk. Have an hour-long conversation with a loved one each week.
- Phone a friend with whom you have not spoken for a while and arrange to meet up.
- Give yourself a treat every day and take the time to really enjoy it.
- Have a good laugh at least once a day.
- Get physical. Exercise for half an hour three times a week.
- Smile at and/or say hello to a stranger at least once each day.
- Cut your TV viewing by half.
- Spread kindness. Do a good turn for someone every day.
A study from the Mayo Clinic found optimists reported having better physical and emotional health. Doctor Toshihiko (toh-she-HEE’koh) Maruta (mar-OO’tuh) says the research is a follow-up to a study they did a couple years ago. He says the optimist also tends to live longer and better lives.