THIS MONTH IS
October is Adopt A Pet Month and Family Circle rounded up the most kid friendly breeds and stored them by size and temperament. Here’s what dog breeds they suggest:
- Pug, Lhasa Apso, Cavalier King Charles spaniel – under 20 pounds, laid back and social. Patient and forgiving, playing, loving nature and they’re easy to train. Ideal combination for families with young kids.
- English Bulldog, Beagle, Basset Hound – 21-50 pounds, laid back and social. Affectionate, lovable, even tempered and charming. Perfect companions for children because of their gentle, non aggressive demeanor.
- Saint Bernard, Old English Sheepdog, Great Dane, Mastiff – over 50 pounds, laid back and social. Gentle giants are receptive to children and other animals and will thrive in their family role. They are efficient watchdogs but still have a mild temperament.
- Boston Terrier, Scottish Terrier, Chihuahua, Jack Russell Terrier – under 20 pounds, energetic and independent. Suitable for active families and surprisingly loyal watchdogs. Easy to clean and brush, a perk for busy people who prefer a low maintenance grooming regimen.
- American Eskimo, Keeshound, Miniature Poodle – 21-50 pounds, energetic and independent. Bred for companionship, these dogs thrive on human contact. Easily trained and intelligent, as well as strong willed. Great for outdoorsy families who have the time to develop a strong dog-human relationship.
- Collie, Golden Retriever, Siberian Husky – over 50 pounds, energetic and independent. Long-haired and suitable for attentive owners who are willing to devote extra care to grooming. Good natured, intelligent loyal dogs who are active and agile, ideal for families with older children. Visit the Humane Society of Tuolumne County to adopt your new best friend today!